What is Performance Incentive Grants (PIG)?
Nagaland Education Project seeks to improve community ownership and engagement in the management of Government schools in line with the Nagaland Communitization of Public Institution and Services Act, 2002. The active participation of the community through School Management Committees (SMCs) / School Management and Development Committees (SMDCs) is one of the key factors in the performance of Government schools and improvement of learning environment. Therefore, in order to strengthen their capacities, the project aims to give financial support to eligible SMCs and SMDCs across the state. This financial support is called Performance Incentive Grants (PIG).
- To improve learning environment in Government schools
- To strengthen the capacity of SMCs / SMDCs to enhance their ownership and responsibility
- To strengthen community engagement and participation in the school management
Who can apply?
PIG is available only for SMCs and SMDCs of all Government schools across Nagaland – primary schools, middle schools, high schools, and higher secondary schools. Individuals and NGOs or any educational organizations other than SMC/SMDC will NOT be eligible to apply.
- SMC/SMDC should be constituted as per Government guidelines
- Annual School Development Plan should be in place
- Financial record of the development plans executed should be in place
All the SMCs/SMDCs across the state will be invited to apply for PIG. The applications received will be reviewed based on the pre-conditions, quality of applications, geographical targeting and batch limits on school categories.
Qualified and shortlisted SMCs and SMDCs for the first batch will have to undergo a mandatory capacity building programme. This will include:
- Workshop on governance and responsibilities of SMCs/SMDCs
- Needs assessment exercise
- Trainings on project management, monitoring, financial management, etc.
- Preparation of PIG proposal (action plans)
SMCs/SMDCs who finished the capacity building workshop will have to submit their respective PIG proposals. The proposals will be reviewed and approved by the Project Management Unit (PMU). All selected SMCs/SMDCs will have to open separate NECTAR bank accounts. Finally, an MoU will be signed by each SMC / SMDC with the PMU and the first installment of PIG will be disbursed.
Grants will be given to the schools to implement the approved proposals. These grants will be on installment basis i.e., every six months for two years. Based on the performance of the SMC/SMDC in a particular installment, the next installment will be given out after a review process.
A total of 738 schools – 328 GPS, 229 GMS, 149 GHS and 32 GHSS were selected for the first batch and the implementation phase is underway.
Timeline for 2nd batch
- Performance Incentive Grants (PIG) application is only for SMCs and SMDCs
- No application for the third batch will be accepted after 15th April 2023
- SMCs/SMDCs can reach out to their respective EBRCs and NECTAR District Project Assistants (DPAs) for more information
PIG Application Form can be downloaded here.
Note: Submission of PIG application form for 3rd batch is open now.